Monday, April 24, 2006

Flat white Cafe


Berwick St, Soho, London

Antipodeans in London (or anywhere else in the world) will know of that strange epi-phenomenon that is the absence of the otherwise ubiquitous 'flat white' on the standard coffee menu. But o-ho, this is fixed for my resourceful bf has found it: probably the only place in London that serves this exotic drink.

And the name of the locale? Why, Flat White, of course.

An antipodean duo own and run this cafe, which also sells L&P and Bundaberg ginger beer for the same price as a coffee (£2). They also do damn good vege bagels and a decent range of snacks. Service is quick and friendly - you order and pay at the counter and they bring you the food afterwards - just like in Australia/New Zealand. Even the barista's accent brought back memories.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always a concerted effort to remember noone else understands "flat white" when travelling. London, NY, why can't these places make real coffee!?!

David said...

I gather 'flat white' is a bit of an Antipodean invention. The Italians don't have it either.

Sam said...

What?! Even NY doesn't have yum yum coffee??

The Japanese are quite proud of their coffee - I have no idea why though. I get asked what's my favourite type of coffee or brand and I have to admit that I'm a coffee snob and coffee greatness depends on the barista..

This is cute though: http://incognitomosquito.blogspot.com/2006/05/most-japanese-y-coffee-ever.html

Anonymous said...

That is the trippiest cup of coffee that I have ever seen. Far out, dude!!!

Wish they knew how to make coffee in Paris. They don't. They just know how to look stylish while drinking it. C'est vrai!

Ms. Glaze

David said...

I don't know about Noo Yawk kawfee, but I know that Yoo Kay (Y)UK make v. bad coffee compared to Australia.

Welcome Ms Glaze, coffee in France I've discovered is not as developed as in Italy.

Anonymous said...

ABC TV's U.K. correspondent did a feature report on Flat White a couple of days ago. It was on the national 7pm bulletin, so I can imagine lots of Aussie relies have mentioned the cafe to their expat sons and daughters in London who might be missing a decent coffee before or after work! (most people's work day tradition here in Sydney).
I have a mate in Guildford whom I'm sending to the cafe to try a REAL coffee...even if he's not a coffee drinker. I think he'll be coffee-addicted after only one antipodean-style cup-o-goodness.