Monday, October 25, 2004

Braising Sauce

I tried the braising sauce described in AromaCookery's blog today. Although the proportions of the aromatics were not given, I guessed and used:

Half a spanish onion
One lemon grass
5cm of galangal
3 cloves of garlic
2.5 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 tbsp dark soy
0.5 tbsp light soy

For about half a side of pork belly, approximately 500g.

It was delicious, but a bit too sweet. Next time I will use 1 tbsp sugar and twice the amount of garlic. But it was still very aromatic and quite delicious. I paired it with some watercress, red date and chicken soup. My grandmother would have asked, "Is that all? Only two things for dinner?" But since I'm the cook, that's enough. I have a blog to write, nana!

3 comments:

julia said...

The first time I made this dish, it also turned out too sweet. I've learnt not to add too much sugar at the beginning, as I can always add more towards the end of the cooking if it's not sweet enough. :)

stef said...

I went easy on the sugar...I added a lot of shallots - about 10 small shallots, 6 cloves of garlic, lots of galangal and some ginger root too. I find that a precise measurement is hard because it's all about taste - and that's very personal. :) But YUM!

David said...

Julie and Stephanie, your comments are v. helpful. It's now our boiling hot summer in Australia so back to salad weather but who knows when I'll get a craving for loh-chee-yook next.