Saturday, April 07, 2007

Simply Paris (in Wellington)

Upper Cuba St, 20-Feb-07

J'ai venu ici de d'obtenir un petit chose d'Europe; un souvenir quands je suis resté là - avant Singapour. C'est assez nostalgie maintenant; plus sentimentale.

I come here to get a fix of Europe; a reminder, a souvenir of my time before Singapore. It's nostalgic now; sentimental, as time soothes the rough edges and I view the past through Vaselined lenses.

I recall Leon and I discovering the Old World together with our virgin Antipodean eyes. We learned what the weight of history does to a city and its people: good and bad.

It's not suprising that the service here is slow dolorous - it is, after all, staffed by genuine French girls. But her charming smile, cute French accent and good looks make me forgive all. The venue is populated by middle-aged women who have, more likely than not, been to France or Europe for a holiday and loved the elegance of it all. They're the ones who like Opera - not because of the art - but because of the kinds of people that go to Opera.

The food is good, the pastries quite incredible. It's nice to have this sort of thing in Wellington

No comments: